Command Line Updater (windows)

I still have a several windows servers that refuse to upgrade with the command line

Hey Stephen,

Do you get any sort of error message? Any feedback from the updater?

-Kyle

How about the version of Windows Server ?

Todd

2016 servers I think the message had issue with ssl was kind of hard to read red on black. I tried to grab a screen shot but I must not have not smashed the right keys.

Hey Stephen,

Unfortunately I cannot fix the issue with the older versions of windows servers from within the command, but it should be fixed from within the script itself. If you download the script from the appupdates web server (you should be able to grab it at the url in the command) you should be able to run it locally without an issue. Let me know if that works for you!

-Kyle

Was using VS code To run it but got this error:

Stop-Service : Service 'OttoFMS (com.proofgeist.ottofms)' cannot be stopped due to the following error: 
Cannot open com.proofgeist.ottofms service on computer '.'.
At C:\Users\oceanwest\Desktop\ottoUpdate.ps1:53 char:2
+     Stop-Service -Name "com.proofgeist.ottofms"
+     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : CloseError: (System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController:ServiceController) [Stop- 
   Service], ServiceCommandException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CouldNotStopService,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.StopServiceCommand

Worked fine here, using powershell…

Just tried on two different servers one just closed powershell the other flashed the red blurb just after it started downloading, then ps quit.

Hey Stephen,

That error looks like its having trouble finding the service on the server, is ottofms running while you run the command? I’m not sure how much help I can be with the older windows servers, it may just be a manual update required situation.

-Kyle

I do have the same problem on multiple servers. They have the same config. Windows Server 2022 Datacenter on AWS.
For now I just uninstall and reinstall, and everything looks good.

PS C:\Users\francois.dube> iex ((New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://appupdates.proofgeist.com/ottofms/install-scripts/install-win.ps1'))
Downloading OttoFMS installer zip from https://console.ottomatic.cloud/downloads/ottofms/latest/win...
Extracting files from C:\Users\FRANCO~1.DUB\AppData\Local\Temp\2\ottoFMS_installer.zip to C:\Users\FRANCO~1.DUB\AppData\Local\Temp\2\Extracted...
Stopping OttoFMS...
Stop-Service : Service 'OttoFMS (com.proofgeist.ottofms)' cannot be stopped due to the following error: Cannot open
com.proofgeist.ottofms service on computer '.'.
At line:53 char:2
+     Stop-Service -Name "com.proofgeist.ottofms"
+     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : CloseError: (System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController:ServiceController) [Stop-Service],
   ServiceCommandException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CouldNotStopService,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.StopServiceCommand

Hey y’all,

Are you running Powershell as an administrator when you run the commands to update OttoFMS? If not it may not have the permissions to run the stop service command.

-Kyle

1 Like

That was it Kyle. I thought it was running as admin by default. And I was manually stopping the service and then running the update script and still got the error.
Anyway, everything is good now. Thanks!

1 Like