Deployments List with Sub-deployments arrow direction

When looking at the deployment list in the OTTO FMS web interface if a deployment has sub deployments, but they are not expanded, then it is shown with a downward facing arrow.

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 09.36.07

When the deployment is expanded to show the sub deployments an upward arrow is shown.

I find this confusing as it is not the same behaviour as is used in MacOS and many other UI paradigms. For example in MacOS Finder when a folder is not expanded the arrow point right like so:

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 09.38.07

If a folder is expanded the the arrow points down:

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 09.38.16

This seems to be the standard on windows as well.

I know that some web design systems like material design use up/down, but the this instances it seems to have much less clarity as to which items are expanded and which items are parents /children of each element.

In MacOS the name of the child file/folders is also indented which makes it clearer. In OTTO the sub-deployments names are not indented and it makes it more difficult to pick out from the list what is the name of the parent deployment verses the child sub-deployments.

1 Like

Hi Gabe,

Yeah, I agree that this is kinda confusing. We’ll take a look at this and see if we can improve!

1 Like

Yes, I echo @GabeWoodger’s confusion here, and much prefer the macOS and Windows UI standard on this.

FWIW, I’ve seen Google Sites use this same “down is closed / up is open” design, and it’s confusing as heck there too.

1 Like

Good news! We were able to fit this into the latest patch release that was released yesterday! OttoFMS 4.3.3 has this improvement

2 Likes

Awesome! I know it’s a small thing, but I appreciate the time taken to change it.