Update to 4.2.0 on Windows failed

and wipe out existing version

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Users\Administrator> iex ((New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString(‘https://appupdates.proofgeist.com/otto
fms/install-scripts/install-win.ps1’))
Downloading OttoFMS installer zip from https://console.ottomatic.cloud/downloads/ottofms/latest/win
Invoke-WebRequest : Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by
the remote host.
At line:36 char:1

• Invoke-WebRequest -Uri $zipURL -OutFile $zipFilePath
  •   + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Invoke-WebRequest], IOException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.IO.IOException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.InvokeWebRequestCommand

Extracting files from C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\ottoFMS_installer.zip to C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\Extracted…
New-Object : Exception calling “.ctor” with “3” argument(s): “End of Central Directory record could not be found.”
At
C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\Microsoft.PowerShell.Archive\Microsoft.PowerShell.Archive.psm1:934
char:23

• … ipArchive = New-Object -TypeName System.IO.Compression.ZipArchive -Ar …
  •             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:slight_smile: [New-Object], MethodInvocationException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : ConstructorInvokedThrowException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.NewObjectCommand

Installing OttoFMS…
Start-Process : Cannot validate argument on parameter ‘FilePath’. The argument is null or empty. Provide an argument
that is not null or empty, and then try the command again.
At line:52 char:25

• Start-Process -FilePath “$RunMe” -ArgumentList “–mode unattended” -W …
  •                     ~~~~~~~~

• CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:slight_smile: [Start-Process], ParameterBindingValidationException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationError,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.StartProcessCommand

OttoFMS Installation completed successfully.
PS C:\Users\Administrator>

downloading the file and running manually has installed it…

Sorry John,

We will check it out ASAP.

Todd

Having seen other thread, just confirm this is running FMS 20.3.2

have not yet looked at the actual script, but one thing is that the uninstaller works before it has even worked out if there was a fault with downloading or unzipping, so you are then left with nothing. Should this step be moved later??

That would probably be a better idea.

We’ll look into it.

Thanks

Todd

I’ll be adding some error trapping to this script so its easier to debug. In this case it looks like your download of the installer failed for some reason and it cascaded from there.

I’ll get working on some updates to the script!!

-Kyle

@kduval just tried to update to 4.2.2 and basically same error occurred

after uninstalling,
Invoke-WebRequest : Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by
the remote host.
At line:36 char:1

• Invoke-WebRequest -Uri $zipURL -OutFile $zipFilePath
  •   + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Invoke-WebRequest], IOException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.IO.IOException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.InvokeWebRequestCommand

Hello John,

Thanks for the update! I’ve been sick for a few days so I’ve been unable to get to making these changes to the install script. I’ll be working on this this week!

-Kyle

Hey John,

I have added some better error management and a couple lines that I think should help with your issue to the windows script. Let me know if the upgrade goes smoother for 4.2.3! At the very least I believe the new version of the script won’t uninstall OttoFMS if it fails to get the installer properly.

-Kyle

Thanks @kduval just tested and all worked like clockwork. Thanks

2 Likes